Sycamore Gap

Sycamore Gap
appeared in th film 'Robin Hood' alongside Kevin Costner

Wednesday 9 June 2010

Day 5 - Carlisle to Bowness-to-Solway

A good bed might be a reason for waking up late. I woke up at 06:50 and found that it was a mistake. It was because I did not pack both of my backpacks and I should have started walking at 08:00 shapely. Finally I started at 08:30 and headed to the Sands Sports Centre to stamp the passport.

Today was a bit cold (around 12-13c). It was wise to put on a thick (breathable & lightweight) wind-breaker and gloves all the time.

Neither a long nor a tough day but I had to keep pace at 5km/hour and last for 5 hours. It was because the bus return from Bowness to Carlisle would depart at 14:10 and the next one will be at 17:10. If I could not catch it, I will need to call a cab back to Carlisle which will cost me a fortune.

1st check point....oh....just finished 5.5 miles?!
2nd check point .... over half done .... go go go


The views along the path are not very attractive but save time. I only took few 3-minute break to rest my painful feet. While entering the marsh area (bay side actually) near Drumburgh, I forced myself to ran on a flat paved road for 2km. I must thank Stephen who suggested me to bring a pair of old trainers. However my legs nearly broke and I could not run anymore.

River Eden in Carlisle
View of the Port Carlisle

Okay, the last 2 miles to go. Run Moody Run.

Yeah, I reached the finish point, the small English Heritage wooden shelter, at 13:17 which was a bit faster than I expected. But sadly, I could not find the final passport stamp neither in the wooden shelter nor the King’s Arms pub. The pub opens at 4pm and there was no other place to get the stamp. It was a little imperfectness in the journey.

I finished the whole path for 4.5 days. I did it!!

I did it!!!! What an unforgettable magic moment :)

My goodness! Why the King's Arms opens at 4pm? It was unfair to the early walkers!! I missed the final stamp :(

No comments:

Post a Comment