Sycamore Gap

Sycamore Gap
appeared in th film 'Robin Hood' alongside Kevin Costner

Sunday 21 March 2010

About the trek

I have already opened space for this plan at Yahoo in April 2009. But I would like to open the other blog in English which is for non-Chinese speakers.


I had such plan while I was on the way to London in February 2009. There was an in-flight TV programme by the BBC which was about the blockbuster exhibition in the British Museum, Hadrian: Empire and Conflict. I did not see the exhibition itself as I left London before it opened in July 2009. However, who can resist the fantastic story of the emperor Hadrian as well as the Wall?!

In addition to the attractive history and challenging myself, I would do something meaningful while travelling. So, this trek will raise some money for 2 charitable organizations, Royal Asiatic Society Hong Kong Branch and the ORBIS.

Why these 2 organizations?

It is because I am a member of the RASHK which I have joined in 2000 as a student member. I met many great people who somehow affect my life and my career. 2010 is the 50th anniversary of the Society and the 10th year I have joined. RASHK is a local society offering various talks, seminars and visits about Asian history, art and culture. They have done many researches and published (with HKU) in recent years. It is my turn to do something for them.

And the ORBIS, mmm....I think I have special feelings with visually impaired people. My grandma had an old friend, Ms. Chu, who was blind since her childhood. We all called her Chu 'gu-leung' (gu-leung is a Cantonese which means a nurse, but we sometimes use this word to call an old lady or single woman). I met her quite often in church gatherings but I cannot remember when did I first meet her. I just remember she was a very kind and dedicated her life to the church as well as the way she touched my little face to 'memorize' me.



Well, these reasons are very personal. But I wish to do something for those who changed the way I see this world. I, moreover, do think travelling is not only in luxurious and comfortable ways. After a 3-hour tough caving in Budapest in last November, I realize that I can challenge myself both physically and psychologically.



My trip will start on 5th or 6th June and spend 5 days along the Wall. In fact, I do really like to start the trek on the D-Day but it depends on the flight.

My proposed itinerary:
Day 1] Newcastle (Wallsend) to Heddon-on-the_wall (24km)
Day 2] Heddon to Chollerford (23km)
Day 3] Chollerford to Gisland (31km)
Day 4] Gisland to Carlisle (33km)
Day 5] Carlisle to Bowness-on-Solway (24km)




Here's the Yahoo blog in Chinese:

No comments:

Post a Comment